Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hostas and the Lazy Gardener

I'm a lazy gardener. I admit it. The hubby takes care of all the hard stuff, but I like to putter about.  

One plant we grow takes almost no work from either of us. My kinda plant!  

Hostas are super easy, are perennials in most areas, grow rapidly and take very little care after the first year.  We have about 20 varieties in different spots depending on how much sun or shade the bed gets.

They were the first plants we put in when we moved in and those original plants have been split and spread around our garden several times now.  By early summer, they are out and getting ready to flower.  This year things have gone a little quicker with the warmer weather so many of my varieties, especially in the beds with the most sun, are already up and quite filled out.

For a shady spot, a little shade garden filled with different types of hostas and ferns can make a dismal spot absolutely gorgeous. I have one bed in particular that has 6 different types of hostas, 5 different ferns, columbine and irises. When it is all filled in during the summer, it's a peaceful, cool spot and my favorite place in our garden.

Our local farmer's market has a couple of stalls selling hosta starts, or you can get them at any garden center, either as a plant or as bulbs. I've done them both ways and almost always have success.  The best thing about a hosta? You can hardly kill them.  We've put them in areas with too much sun for that particular type and they've languished, only to move them to another spot and they come back stronger than ever.

I have some that are a huge leafed, blue-green color, others that are tiny mouse-ears in a deep green.  Some lime green with curly leafs and others with white borders. We have so many that I really need to classify them so I know what we have.  Maybe a summer project.











No comments:

Post a Comment