Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Wisteria



I've always wanted a wild, out of control wisteria to vine up a trellis or fence. It took me a long time and will never replicate the ones I remember growing up, but I have an arbor that has an American Wisteria on one side and a climbing English Rose on the other.  The two have done well together and have really covered the arbor quite nicely.  The wisteria blooms before it leafs out, putting all it's energy into the most fragrant and lovely blossoms. The flower buds always look like little grape bunches to me and the flowers, once they open, look much the same.  

This wisteria has been in 3 years now and has a healthy trunk at the bottom that is about 3" around.  We don't really trim it back much, just keep tucking the little tendrils back in and around the arbor.  It's entangled with the rose, but neither seems to mind.  In another month, the wisteria will leaf out so heavily, you'll barely see the top and side of the arbor, just a magical looking green doorway.  The kids love it.  

I know the Japanese Wisteria is a more aggressive plant and is more fragrant.  It was actually what I wanted, but the day I bought mine, I just had to have one that day so the American version is what I brought home. It's aggressive in it's own way, but we have no problem with the flower bed that is right along side it.  I can't wait to post more pictures once the blooms start opening and the leaves come out.  It's particularly lovely once the rose is in bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment